The key objective of this Workshop is to instruct scientific staff from National Meteorological Services, Regional Climate Centers, and from research institutions in the use of satellite based products for operational climate monitoring and climate research.
Participants will complete an online phase during which they will
- engage with the concept of satellite based climate monitoring
- be introduced to EUMETSAT's climate products
- install free and open software tools to be used during the classroom phase
- get a first introduction to these software
- design a small project that will be completed during the workshop in Pretoria
- identify which data will be most applicable to their work and ideally download (some of) these data
The Pretoria workshop offered by EUMETSAT and will focus on project-based work with supporting presentations and group work on the application of satellite data to climate monitoring. We will use climate data of EUMETSAT's product portfolio (mainly CM SAF data) and free software tools (R - see http://www.cmsaf.eu/tools/ for further information; and R-Instat). During the workshop, the participants will have the opportunity to explore the use of satellite based climate data in their daily work.
Please note: The active participation in the online phase is crucial for your success in the course!
Online Phase: 30 July - 10 August 2018
Workshop in Pretoria, South Africa: 20 - 24 August 2018
Application deadline: extended to 15 June 2018
How to apply:
If you already have an account on this platform, use the link below to submit your application form.
Otherwise, please make sure you create an account: click on Login (top right section of the page), and create a new user (Create an account) and follow the procedure. Once the account has been created, please log in, then access 'Apply for Courses' section and submit your application form. If you have any problems, please contact the Training Team at email@example.com.