Welcome to the Training Course on
The Use of Gridded Satellite Data for Climate Services in Africa
Online Phase: 30 July - 10 August 2018
Classroom Phase: 20 - 24 August 2018, Pretoria, South Africa
This 2 weeks online phase is designed for you to:
- study the concept of satellite based climate monitoring
- get an overview of the satellite based climate data we will be working with in the classroom
- to learn where an how to access/download these data
- to prepare your laptop for the classroom by installing software tools will be working with in the classroom
- to get an impression on these software tools by working through the tutorial provided
This is a self learning environment, which allows you to learn at your own speed! However, there are several life chat sessions where you can discuss questions with the instructors and your course mates. Feel free to join in! Besides that you can use the course forum at any time to get in touch with course mates, instructors and discuss questions and comments.
Most of the content provided in this online course is to read and to watch/listen. There are 4 active tasks you are expected to do during this online phase:
- Task 1: Download CM SAF Data, see section 2 "CM SAF Data"
- Task 2: Download LSA SAF Data, see section 3 "LSA SAF Data for African Applications"
- Task 3: Install the software, see section 5 "Data Formats, Software Tools and Installation"
- Task 4: Submit the idea for you mini project, see section 6 "Your Mini Project for the Classroom Session"
Besides these tasks you can check what you have learned about the concept of satellite based climate monitoring in the Quiz that is provided in section 4. The Quiz will be available from Wednesday, 1. August 2018, approx. 14:00 UCT, as we are still working on it. We will inform you, as soon as it is available.
After you have worked through the content of this online phase, you should be able to:
- explain the difference between weather and climate
- discuss why climate monitoring is important and why satellites play an increasing role
- explain the difference between Environmental Data Records, Fundamental Data Records and Thematic Climate Data Records
- browse through the catalogue of available CM SAF and LSA SAF data
- order and download CM SAF and LSA SAF data
- get help in case of questions on the CM SAF and LSA SAF data
We did our best to provide the material of the online phase in a user friendly way. If you do not have a stable internet connection available, we encourage you to download the PDFs that are provided in the different course sections. They cover the most important course content.
Enjoy the online phase and use it to prepare yourself for the classroom - the better you prepare, the more you will get out of the classroom phase!
We are looking forward to meeting you soon!