In this short course you will be introduced to the CM SAF R Toolbox and its functionalities. The CM SAF R Toolbox is a software based on R, specifically developed to analyse satellite based climate data records. Information and support on how to install the CM SAF R Toolbox will be provided. You will be invited to play with the visualization and analysis functionalities provided in the software and to join also a feedback, Q&A session on Monday, 25 January 2021 at 12:00 -13:00 UTC. To prepare yourself for the course, please install the CM SAF R Toolbox on your computer.
with Christine Traeger-Chatterjee, Steffen Kothe and Danny Parsons
Joining the session
For Q&A please go to Slido.com, use #EUMSC9 (no log in required).
We are happy to have you here. In this section you can find all information about the course and resources. After the course, you the recording of the session will be made available.
- 20 Jan 2021, 12:00 - 12:15 UTC Welcome and Introduction (Christine Traeger-Chatterjee, EUMETSAT)
- 20 Jan 2021, 12:15 - 13:00 UTC The CM SAF R Toolbox and its functionalities (Steffen Kothe, CM SAF / DWD)
- 20 Jan 2021 - 25 Jan 2021 anytime Hands-on analysing time series with the CM SAF R Toolbox (Participants)
- 20 Jan 2021, 14:00 - 14:30 UTC Q & A and Wrap Up (Steffen Kothe, CM SAF / DWD; Christine Träger-Chatterjee, EUMETSAT)
For an optimal learning experience, we recommend to go through the preparation steps listed below prior to the course.This includes:
- Install the CM SAF R Toolbox
- The Toolbox requires the installation of R and RStudio.
- For details on the software and installation see section 'Working with CM SAF data'.
- Technical support during the course will be provided, but can only be limited, thus make sure that the Toolbox is installed and properly working.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical problems with the Toolbox
- Getting data to work with the CM SAF R Toolbox
- Register for the CM SAF Web User Interface
- To order and download CM SAF data, you have to register once
- Order and Download CM SAF data
- Order CM SAF data of your preferred region. Choose one ore more variables of your interest. Examples shown during the course will use SARAH2.1 sunshine duration (SDU) and surface incoming shortwave radiation (SIS).
- Links to order the data are in the section 'Data record details and ordering' of the DOI website (bottom of the page). The videos below will guide you through the ordering process and provide you with further tips on data ordering:
- After you placed the order you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Once the data are ready for download you will receive an e-mail with a download link.
The CM SAF R Toolbox was specifically developed for climatological time series analysis of NetCDF data. An overview of the CM SAF R Toolbox and some functionalities are provided in the section "The CM SAF R Toolbox."
To familiarize with CM SAF CDRs, we encourage you to go through the cheat sheets "Basic Climate Analysis using the CM SAF R Toolbox" provided below.
Our training activities support users in the member states and among the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) members in the application of EUMETSAT data, products, and services, including Copernicus data provided by EUMETSAT. Find our more at our web page.
Subscribe to the Training Bulletin the joint EUMETSAT, EUMETCAL, EUMeTrain newsletter on new activities and resources in European meteorological training — published every quarter.
Contact us for questions about training events and professional development opportunities at email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter @eumetsat_users.