Assess Data Quality
- Download a selection of images for a region of interest.
- Look at the data flags that are raised for your region.
- Are they consistent in time/space?
- Summarise how these flags might influence your use of different parameters.
Assess how you might progress use of satellite data in this region:
- Which products might you preferentially use?
- Could you collect in situ data to help clarify your understanding of the data?
- Do you need to refine atmospheric correction?
- Could you develop a new product give your knowledge of the region?
Would you be better using a merged/binned product?
Compare more than one type of satellite data
- Download OLCI/SLSTR/SRAL data for a region of interest
Assess how different parameters relate to each other.
- Are they correlated?
Why is this? What is the cause?
- Download OLCI data for a region of interest for a few days.
- Download some data from CMEMS for a similar period but with different spatial/temporal resolution.
What differences do you see with the changes in resolution?
Hunt for a feature
- Think of an ocean phenomena that you are aware of.
- What sort of variability in ocean characteristics could link these phenomena with satellite data (e.g. a change in chlorophyll/SST/SSH, a particular pattern).
- Have a look through some satellite data and see if you can find your phenomena of interest.
- What products would be best to use for this purpose?
- Can you think of any errors/uncertainties that might affect your use of this data for feature detection?